Oktoberfest in Germany begins Saturday, September 22, 2012, and ends Sunday, October 7, 2012...

Sunday, March 22, 2015

Buttermilk Coconut Bread



    By Kerrie

Today is a day for baking!   It just is.  I get like this sometimes …. I should go for a run (okay, a walk), but I just get the baking bug and before I can stop myself  I’m checking out the pantry and fridge.   So, let’s see…  I have a half bag of coconut that I need to use,  a half carton of buttermilk which I also need to use up.   Okay, let’s make a sweet bread!   It will have to include chia seeds though, because my grandson believes chia seeds give him super powers ☺
 

This loaf, once baked, towered above my 9x5x4 loaf pan, so if yours is smaller, you might want to pour off a little batter into greased muffin tins.

2 large eggs
1 1/4 cups buttermilk
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1/4 teaspoon table salt
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 cup granulated sugar
1 ½ cup sweetened flaked coconut
¼ cup chia seeds
¼ cup slivered almonds (I always have a bag of these on hand)
8 tablespoons (1 stick) unsalted butter, melted.
*Vegetable oil or nonstick cooking spray for baking pan

Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees.  

Butter and flour a 9×5-inch loaf pan, or coat it with a nonstick spray – or my preferred method …. line with parchment paper, allowing the overlap to hang over the sides ( this allows for easy removal of the bread after cooling).

Now, in a medium bowl, whisk together the dry ingredients:   flour, salt, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, chia seeds and sugar.

 

Then, in a small bowl, add the eggs, buttermilk, vanilla, and cooled melted butter.  Mix on low until frothy.

 
Next,  pour the wet mixture over the dry mixture and mix just until blended.

 

Now, top the mixed dough with the coconut and fold it in with a large spoon.


Then, spoon the batter into the pan and then spread it evenly from corners to middle with a knife.

 
Top the batter with the slivered almonds.

 

Now, place in a 350 degrees oven for 15 minutes, then reduce temp to 325 and continue to bake for 60 - 70 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.

 

Cool in pan five minutes, before turning out onto a cooling rack.



Enjoy!



No comments:

Post a Comment