Oktoberfest in Germany begins Saturday, September 22, 2012, and ends Sunday, October 7, 2012...

Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Easy Homemade Twinkies

Hi!   It’s been a while since I posted.  I guess I just needed some inspiration.      Guess what?  I found it…..
While visiting a kitchen gadget store recently, I noticed an interesting cake mold pan - a little cream cake mold by Norepro, called a canoe pan.   It would yield 8 little twinkie shaped cakes which you could then fill.   I grabbed one up and was set to buy it, but it was $24.99.   I put it back on the shelf, and thought I would check out Amazon first to see if I could getter a better price.  I’m glad I did because I was able to get it through Amazon at $18.33 so I ordered two.   So anyway, the pans arrived and I tried a recipe posted on the web that claims to be a clone.  I did not care for it, and tried a couple more.   After some tweaking, this is a recipe I found to yield a very tasty alternative to the little gems I used to love as a kid….



Ingredients:   This recipe yields 16 twinkies
One box yellow cake mix – I have used Duncan Hines as well as Pillsbury for this recipe
½ cup oil – I use canola
½ cup milk – I use 1 %
4 eggs
Canola spray – I use this because it is tasteless.
        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
¾ cup heavy cream
One 7 ounce jar of marshmallow cream – I used Jet-Puffed



Directions:      

Spray the canoe impressions with oil.
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.

Then, to a large mixing bowl add the eggs, oil and milk.  Using an electric mixer, mix on medium high until fluffy. 
Then, add the dry cake mix and continue to mix on medium until well blended and smooth.
Using a medium cookie scoop, add the batter to each canoe impression.  This recipe will support an even division for 16 twinkies.
When the pans have been filled, over the floor about 1 or 2 inches drop each pan a couple of times to level out the batter, and raise bubbles to the top.  Then, place the pans over a baking sheet ( to prevent over-browning) and place in oven.   
Bake just until cakes have risen and are only just beginning to lightly brown on top – about 15 to 20 minutes.

Remove pans from oven and place on a wire rack to cool for about 10 minutes.  Then remove the cakes placing each one flat side down to continue to cool.  As they are cooling trim each cake of any spreading that occurred during the baking process.


When each cake is completely cooled, pipe the filling in from the bottom in three places using a long narrow tip – one is included with the Norepro pan. 

To make the filling,  with an electric mixer, whisk very cold heavy cream until it forms a soft peak.   Then add the marshmallow cream.   Mix until well blended.   
Now, holding a cake in your palm, from the bottom fill 3 times to ensure that each bite contains cream filling.  You will be able to feel the cake expand as you push the filling.  If you happen to get a crack, just smooth it with a knife.  After the cake sets, any cracks should be unnoticeable.
When cakes are filled, place in refrigerator to set.   Serve about an hour later, or up to two days.   They are so delish, they will go fast…..


                                          Enjoy !! 


Use the same method for other flavors too.   I made strawberry twinkies for my Granddaughter's birthday.

Link for the Norpro Cream Canoe Pan

No comments:

Post a Comment