Oktoberfest in Germany begins Saturday, September 22, 2012, and ends Sunday, October 7, 2012...

Friday, October 21, 2011

Peach & Praline Cakelets


I have a Pampered Chef cookbook that includes the most clever and delicious recipes.   The recipe I would like to share is easy and produces an elegant dessert, perfect for the pièce de résistance of your next dinner party.   I tweaked the recipe a bit.   Try my adaptation, and let me know what you think…

Note:    You will need 9 small prep bowls.  An alternative would be ramekins or maybe even large muffin tins.  The small prep bowls, however give a perfect presentation, so try to borrow some if you don’t own any.   Also, be sure to purchase firm peaches for this recipe.  Softer peaches will not only be difficult to slice but will make the cakes soggy.   And lastly, the best tool for slicing the peaches with perfect uniformity is a mandoline slicer. 


Ingredients:

½ stick butter – melted
9 teaspoons packed brown sugar
1/3  cup coarsely chopped pecans – more or less
3 medium firm peaches
1 package yellow cake mix
4 ounces cream cheese, softened
2 eggs
¼ cup water
1 tsp. vanilla
2 Tablespoons canola oil


Directions: 

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. 

Brush each prep bowl with butter from top to bottom (Butter will pool in bottoms). 


Then divide the chopped pecans evenly among the bowls.  Sprinkle a teaspoon of brown sugar over the top of the pecans.


Then, slice each peach in half and remove pits.  Slice each peach half with the mandoline and then slice each ring in half.   


Arrange peach slices in an overlapping pattern around insides of bowls. 

  
Place bowls on large sheet pan.   Set aside.


Then,  combine cake mix, cream cheese, eggs, water, oil and vanilla.  Beat on medium-high speed of an electric hand mixer for 2 to 3 minutes or until smooth.  Using a large cookie scoop, spoon batter evenly among the prepared prep bowls.  


Place in oven and bake 30 – 35 minutes or until wooden pick inserted in centers comes out clean.


Remove sheet pan from oven and place the bowls on a wire rack to cool for 5 minutes.   Then, carefully invert cakes onto serving plates.   Serve warm.


 Enjoy !!


Inspiration for this recipe comes from a Pampered Chef Cookbook :   " Simply Sweet"
The Pampered Chef published recipe is “Praline-Peach Upside-Down Cakes”.
I tweaked the recipe with the addition of canola oil for moisture, and an additional egg.

3 comments:

  1. Would you happen to know the original name of this dessert? Also what did you change from the original recipe.

    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi! I’ve made these little cakes a couple of times now and they always please the crowd. The first time I tried the published recipe I found the batter to be too dense. I added an extra egg and maybe more moisture, but I would have to double check it against the cookbook to be sure. Unfortunately we are involved with a summer “remo-cation” (rather than a vacation this year) and all of my books are packed up. I couldn’t find the recipe on the pampered chef website but will keep looking for it. At any rate, as soon as I can get the books out of storage I will give you a proper answer. Happy baking, Kerrie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi! I’m sorry it has taken me so long to give you a proper answer to your question, but this basement project took much longer than I planned on paper. Anyway, the original name of the recipe as published by Pampered Chef is “Praline-Peach Upside-Down Cakes”. I wish I could link to the PC recipe directly for you, but the PC website does not feature it. Anyway, I tweaked the recipe by adding an extra egg, and increasing the amount of brown sugar and chopped pecans added to each prep bowl. If you would like to try the original recipe you could find it in the Pampered Chef “Simply Sweet” cookbook published in 2010. As you will see from my “About” page, I am a cookbook collector and love to cook. I very often blog “my adaptation” as each recipe I share has been made one or more times to proof – to my preference. I hope this answers your question. Happy Baking, Kerrie

    ReplyDelete