Oktoberfest in Germany begins Saturday, September 22, 2012, and ends Sunday, October 7, 2012...

Wednesday, September 7, 2011

History, Cooking, and while we're at it .... New Potatoes in Burned Butter


I am a lover of history.   I love to read about the lives and struggles of our founding fathers and of folk that lived and survived through those profound years of our country’s beginning.   I guess I could go on for a while with this – contrasting our own profound struggles of this decade with the lives of the brave (and sometimes terrified) men and women that began it all, but another time...       What I really want to share with you is something you might find as interesting as I do, and it begins with a couple of books I recently ordered:

   “ The President’s Table, Two Hundred Years of Dining and Diplomacy” by Barry H. Landau

   “Capitol Hill COOKS” by Linda Bauer

Combine some really fascinating stories of history,  great pictures of parties and gatherings,  and sharing ideas over great meals…  If you’re like me, this fascinates.   So, over the next few weeks I will be sharing some historic as well as contemporary recipes from “Capitol Hill Cooks”, and historic tidbits and Menus from "The Presidents Table" .


The first one is New Potatoes in Burned Butter, which was submitted to the writer by Senator Mike Crapo of Idaho.   Okay, I know it’s another potato recipe, stay with me though, because it’s a little old fashioned and comforting and if you give it a try I think you will like it.   I tweaked it a bit, so here is my adaptation…


Ingredients:
12 new potatoes, 1 to 2” in diameter
2 or 3 sprigs of Rosemary
½ cup butter (1 stick)
Salt and Pepper to taste.

Directions:
Place whole potatoes (I did not peel) in saucepan and barely cover with water.  Top with whole sprigs of Rosemary.
Then, cover pan and simmer until fork tender.  When potatoes are done, drain water off and discard the Rosemary stems.  The leaves will have come off during the cooking process.   Then, quarter each potato and return to the cooking pan.  Set aside.
Next, melt butter in a separate pan.  Using a whisk or spoon stir without stopping over med-high heat.  It will only take a few minutes to go from melted, to foamy, to brown and then this is the tricky part – dark brown.   At this point remove from heat immediately.   What just happened is the milk solids in the butter have separated and browned.  This will give the butter a lovely toasted taste.
Drizzle the hot butter mixture over the potatoes and season with salt and pepper.   Toss and serve while warm.

These potatoes are over the top delicious.

Enjoy !!



      

No comments:

Post a Comment