Oktoberfest in Germany begins Saturday, September 22, 2012, and ends Sunday, October 7, 2012...

Monday, June 20, 2011

Chile Verde

I just can’t tell you how much I love Bountiful Baskets.   Each Saturday we pick up our basket, and we never know what will be in it.   This week I received a Spanish pack which included cilantro, limes, jalapeno peppers, Anaheim chilies, tiny multi colored sweet peppers, Tomatillos, zucchinis, small green Serrano peppers and the largest bulbs of spring onions I have ever seen.   With tomatillos on hand I just had to make some fresh tomatillo sauce for Chile Verde.   The recipe for the sauce comes from a fun cookbook titled “Salsa Cooking” by Marjie Lambert.   This is my adaptation using her Tomatillo – Habanero Salsa recipe ….

First, I must tell you I did not use Habaneros.  For one thing, they are one of the hottest chilies on earth so I do not use them.  Instead, I used the jalapenos and serranos.


Tomatillo Sauce   

8 tomatillos, husked and washed
1 small onion, peeled and cut into thick slices   ( I used my three huge green onion bulbs)
4 cloves of garlic  
3 fresh jalapenos peppers – cut in half and seeded  (use the seeds if you want more heat)
3 fresh Serrano peppers – cut in half and seeded (use the seeds if you want more heat)
¼ cup chopped fresh cilantro
1 Tablespoon fresh lime juice   ( I squeezed two fresh limes)
1 Tablespoon of olive oil
¼ tsp. salt
Olive Oil spray


Place one of your oven racks 6 inches from the broiler.    Place your other rack in the middle of the oven. 

Pre-heat oven at 375 degrees F.

Coat a large oven proof pan with olive oil.  Cut the tomatillos in half and place them cut side up in the pan with the cut onion slices and cut peppers.  

Spray the top of the vegetables with olive oil. Place the pan on middle rack and roast for 20 minutes.   The vegetables will start to sweat. 

  
When the vegetables are tender change the oven setting to broil and move the pan to the broiling rack.   Broil until you get a nice char on the chilies and the tomatillos and onions get a nice brown.   


Set aside to cool a bit.
*
Put the tomatillos, onion, and peppers in a food processor.   


Press the garlic over the mixture and add the chopped cilantro, lime juice, olive oil, and salt.   Add any liquid from the cooking pan as well.   



Process until mixture is chunky, not smooth.    If the mixture seems too dry, add a little more olive oil or lime juice.       


 Set aside to top the browned pork.



Pork Recipe

Yesterday pork chops were on sale, and I knew I would be making Tomatillo Sauce, so for tonight’s Verde I used chops.   You could also use 3 1/2 to 4 pounds of pork shoulder – whatever is cheaper, I say.

Salt
Freshly ground black pepper
Olive oil
3 garlic cloves
1 Tbsp. of dried oregano
1 Tbsp. of ground cumin
½ cup white wine
¼ cup olive oil

Trim excess fat and slice pork into cubes.   Coat an oven proof skillet with olive oil.   Add the meat and season generously with salt and pepper. 
Cook over medium high heat and brown pork chunks well on all sides.


When you have a nice browning remove meat and deglaze with wine.    Press the garlic cloves over the wine and add the oregano, cumin and olive oil.    

Stir well and then place the meat back in the skillet.    Top the meat with the Tomatillo sauce.   


Cover skillet and place in a 300 degrees F oven and cook for 60 minutes.   Remove lid and stir the mixture and cook uncovered in oven another 30 minutes.    If too much moisture evaporates add a little water or chicken broth.    The additional cooking time in the oven will make the pork even more tender.


With the marriage of the Tomatillo Sauce and the Pork, you now have Chile Verde!!!!


Serve warm.     I paired this dish with leftover Basque potatoes,  and a sour cream garnish with sliced tomatoes, olives, and fresh chopped cilantro leaves.





             Enjoy!







Here is a link for the "Salsa Cooking"  cookbook.  The pork recipe is my old standard.

5 comments:

  1. Try roasting the garlic with the skin on also. You might like that as well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that idea! Maybe even roast a little extra to use for something else. Thanks for your feedback. ~~kerrie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cool. I got that technique from Rick Bayless.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mmmm...I got the Mexican Pack from Bountiful Baskets this week. This is definitely on the menu for tomorrow night! Yummy...in fact, I may order the same pack again for next week because this is one of my favorite meals and I love your step-by-step instructions. Do you think I could do a pork shoulder in the crock pot and then pour the tomatillo sauce over it to finish during the last hour of cooking?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think that is a great idea. Let me know how it turns out for you. ~~kerrie

    ReplyDelete