Oktoberfest in Germany begins Saturday, September 22, 2012, and ends Sunday, October 7, 2012...

Friday, June 24, 2011

Broiled Artichoke Heart with Thai Basil Garnish

So I’ve had these three large artichokes in my refrigerator for over a week now, which is about 7 days longer than I should have neglected the little darlings.   Anyway, I needed to use them up and frankly my husband was not properly impressed with my last effort which involved the whole trimming and steaming process.   I even made a nice aioli dipping sauce.   I think the dainty pulling off of the leaves and taking a tiny nibble from the very bottom of each leaf just seemed a little silly to him.   So anyway, back to the three on hand…. What to do….Okay, so I thought let’s just go right to the “heart” of the matter (a little humor).   I removed the hearts and broiled them with Olive Oil,  Garlic Salt, Pepper, and then topped them with grated parmesan cheese.   I didn’t even take pictures of the process because I wasn’t going to blog it, but here’s the thing , I garnished the plate with Tai Basil flowers and chopped Tai Basil leaves and the presentation was so pretty I just had to share it with you.   The process was super easy too so give this a try……

Bring a large pan of water to a boil   ( large enough for 3 large artichokes)

Boil those bad boys for 10 minutes and then turn the heat off and allow them to “sauna” for another 5 minutes.

Remove from the water and when cool enough to handle, slice right down the middle from top to bottom, so you have two halves.

Remove the heart – minus the choke from each half.    Place on baking pan and spray with olive oil.   Sprinkle garlic salt and pepper over each.    Broil until just a little color is showing.   Then sprinkle the top of each with grated parmesan cheese – Return to broil until cheese is melted.

Garnish plate with chopped herbs.    This is where a little personal herb garden comes in very handy.   See my post titled Herb Garden.

Oh, and by the way, hubby liked it – a lot!    We are looking forward to the next time our Bountiful Basket has some artichokes for us!

Enjoy !!!

1 comment:

  1. I've never seen that before. I may just go out and get some artichokes.

    ReplyDelete