Oktoberfest in Germany begins Saturday, September 22, 2012, and ends Sunday, October 7, 2012...

Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Day One: Marbled Chocolate Muffins


Wow, I did it.   After trying to figure out for two days how to set up a blog, it finally clicked and here I am entering my first post.   I will say upfront I am not very technically savvy so this will be a learning process for me.   As the title implies, I own over 300 cookbooks.   I have been collecting them over 34 years.   The first one was a wedding gift from my Maid of Honor and best friend Shannon, “The Good Housekeeping Cookbook”.   That was in 1976 and the book is, as all good cookbooks are, stained and a little tattered.  There are the telltale pages stuck together which is usually a clue this page – or one of them – has been used a lot.   As for the other hundreds, all I can say is I love cookbooks.   I never return from a vacation without one featuring the local cuisine.  Many are a result of a Barnes & Noble date with my hubby (of 34 years).   My plan is to cook something every day from one of those lonely, seldom if ever used books that have been waiting patiently for me to stop browsing and start cooking!  

Tomorrow I am going to try Brioche – and not just an ordinary brioche, a Marbled Chocolate Brioche.   My guide in this adventure is via “the Modern Baker” by Nick Malgieri.  

Speaking of marbled, there is actually a story behind my search for the “perfect marbled”.    Several years ago I visited New York City and experienced an amazing dining experience at the Gramercy Tavern.  At the end of the evening, we were each presented with a treat to take home to enjoy the next morning with our coffee.   I started thinking about it the other day and could not remember if the “treat” was a muffin or a brioche.   As a muffin would be much easier to recreate, I made Marbled Muffins as inspired by a recipe found in  “1 Mix, 100 Muffins"  by Susanna Tee.  This is the recipe I would like to share with you today.   Please note my recipe is not exactly like the one you will find in  “1 Mix, 100 Muffins"  as I wanted to give it a kiss of coconut to achieve the desired taste and presentation.

 Marbled Chocolate Muffins

1 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
1 tablespoon baking powder
1/8 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup granulated sugar
2 eggs, room temperature
1 can coconut milk (one 13.5 oz. can)
8 tablespoons butter room temperature (one stick)
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 tablespoons cocoa powder
1/4 bag of Bakers’ coconut
½ cup chopped hazelnuts

Preheat the oven to 375 degree F.   Grease or line a muffin tin or line it with muffin cups.  (I used a tall muffin tin with tall muffin papers)

Combine the flour, baking powder, salt, and sugar into a large bowl.

Beat together the eggs, coconut milk, butter, and vanilla.  Still beating, slowly add the wet ingredients until just moistened.

Divide the batter into two bowls. Add the cocoa powder into one of the bowls and mix it together.

Add the coconut to the vanilla batter and mix it together.

Alternate adding in the chocolate and vanilla/coconut batter into the muffin cups.  When they bake, they will melt into each other and “marbleize”.

Top each with a sprinkling of chopped hazelnuts.

Bake for about 20 minutes or until just barely golden brown on top. Allow to cool completely before removing. Makes about 12 muffins – or 6 if you use a long or giant muffin tin.

1 Mix, 100 Muffins 

The newest version of "The Goodhousekeeping Cookbook"
The Good Housekeeping Cookbook: 1,275 Recipes from America's Favorite Test Kitchen (Good Housekeeping Cookbooks) 

2 comments:

  1. I hlived in NYC and loved Gramercy Tavern, it was one of my most favorite restaurants in the City. Thanks for recepie, I cannot wait to try it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi LoveNYC,

    I hope you enjoy it! I am glad to see someone else has a fond memory of Gramercy Tavern. I hope to visit there again one day. Kerrie

    ReplyDelete