Oktoberfest in Germany begins Saturday, September 22, 2012, and ends Sunday, October 7, 2012...

Monday, February 21, 2011

Italian Gnocchi -- served over sautéed vegetables and sliced grilled chicken breasts


Hi!     Well, from the title you know that we made Italian Gnocchi today.   It is something I have wanted to take a stab at for quite a while but just never had the time.  That is the upside to having this blog.  It's kind of like a job - I have to come up with something interesting and do it every day.   The down side is that I've replaced the inch I lost and have to scale back the taste testing.   My husband is loving it!    He's even doing the dishes!    Anyway, on to Gnocchi.......


The recipe is taken from a cookbook I forgot I even had and was pleased to find it while organizing my collection:  A Passion for Potatoes, by Paul Gayler.      The following is my adaptation (I used a food processor).

      Ingredients:
      2 lbs. starchy potatoes ( I used russet )
      1 egg, lightly beaten
      1 cup of unbleached all-purpose flour
      Garlic Salt – to taste
      Pepper – to taste

Gnocchi is a little potato dumpling and is a staple of Italian cuisine.  They are very versatile.   You can add mixed herbs, finely chopped mushrooms, or other flavorings to the dough. 

Serve with melted butter, tomato sauce, or another sauce of your choice.   I served mine with a mushroom alfredo sauce over grilled chicken breasts and sautéed yellow squash, mushrooms, and orange bell peppers.


To get started, place the potatoes (skin on) in a pot, cover with cold water and a pinch of salt and bring to a boil.  Reduce the heat and simmer until tender, then drain and remove potatoes to a cutting board to cool slightly so you can then remove the skins.
As soon as you can handle them remove jackets and cut warm potatoes into small cubes.   Place the cubes in a food processor and pulse with your choice of seasoning until smooth.   Allow the mixture to continue to cool in the bowl of the food processor.    When cool enough to add the egg without cooking it, give it a quick whisk and drizzle it over the potato mixture, then pulse several times to fully incorporate.  Next, add the flour a little at a time – pulsing each addition.   When all of the flour is added and incorporated, you should have a smooth almost elastic dough.
       
              Now, remove the mixture to a floured work surface.


To knead the dough I suggest you use dough scrapers if you have them.  If not, with very floured hands, work in additional flour until it is manageable to roll sections of the dough into long cylinders, about ¾ inch in diameter.    
  






 At this point you can cut the cylinders into ¾ inch lengths.  
Roll each one lightly over the tines of a fork so it is grooved all over.  
 Place each grooved piece on a floured baking tray until ready to cook.   


Now, bring a large pot of water to a boil, reduce the heat so it is simmering and add the gnocchi in batches, being careful not to crowd the pot.  Poach for  3 to 4 minutes, until the gnocchi rise to the surface.  Remove with a slotted spoon, drain well, and keep warm while you cook the rest.


It is at this point that I spooned my cooked gnocchi into an easy to make alfredo sauce which I made while poaching the gnocchi batches.   I then topped sautéed vegetables and sliced grilled chicken breast with the Alfredo/Gnocchi mixture. 
    


My family loved it!!    My Grandson asked when we could have pinocchios again.


Here is my recipe for easy Alfredo which I found in a Campbell’s add in my recent “Food & Wine” magazine:

2 cans (10 3/4 ounces) Campbell's® Condensed Cream of Mushroom Soup
1 cup milk
1 ½ cup grated Parmesan cheese
1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
Garlic Salt to taste

Stir the soup, milk, cheese, black pepper and herbs of your choice in a pan and cook until the mixture is hot and bubbling, stirring occasionally.  Serve with additional Parmesan cheese.


A Passion for Potatoes is available through Amazon.

2 comments:

  1. Mmm, mmm, we loved the "pinnochio." The new layout looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! The leftovers made another nice meal.

    ReplyDelete